Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for January 22, 2024

Colonial Country Club
Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Colonial Country Club Community Development District was held on January 22, 2024 at 2:00 p.m. in the Activity Center of the Community Center at 9171 Independence Way in Fort Myers, Florida, and also via web conference.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Tim Worthington – Chair
Sally Hefti – Vice Chair
Giovanna Scuderi – Assistant Secretary
Howard Klein – Assistant Secretary
Joe Zajac – Assistant Secretary

Also present was:

Cal Teague – District Manager, Premier District Management (PDM)

Attending remotely:

Christopher Dudak – Client Services Manager, PDM

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Colonial Country Club Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Colonial Country Club Community Development District Meeting was called to order, and District Manager Teague called the roll. All Board members were present. Also attending was Cal Teague, the District Manager. Participating remotely was Christopher Dudak of PDM.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda


Agenda Item 5Ai – Image illustrating how the new lakes signage would look, if the proposal from Lykins is approved.
Agenda Item 6A – Open letter from Grady Minor in response to the resident letter concerning the effects of the Golf Course proposed changes to some of the stormwater ponds. 

On MOTION by Supervisor Zajac, seconded by Chair Worthington, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Agenda, as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on Agenda items.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Meeting Minutes for December 18, 2023

On MOTION by Chair Worthington, seconded by Vice Chair Hefti, with all in favor, the Board approved the Draft Regular Meeting Minutes for December 18, 2023, as presented.


A. Lakes Naming

i. Lakes Signage Proposal

Field Manager Pepin provided a proposal from Lykins Signtek for engraved PVC signs that are 1’ tall by 2’ wide; an example image was presented as a handout for the Board. He also asked for an aluminum sign example, but he has not heard back from Lykins as of yet. Due to the potential expense, he suggested that this could be a multi-year project if the Board was interested.

Supervisor Zajac and Supervisor Klein stated that they had spoken to residents about possible new signage for the lakes. They had received unfavorable responses from most of the residents, because the residents would not like more signage in the community. The Board decided that there is no interest in pursuing lakes signage at this time.


A. Resident Letter on Stormwater Concerns and Golf Course Renovations

The Board was presented a handout of the letter from engineer Grady Minor which was sent to resident Shelly Childs, who was concerned that the Golf Course proposed changes would effect some of the stormwater system. He stated in the letter that all work would abide by the requirements of the SFWMD permit.

Supervisor Klein stated that, when he spoke to Pat Tohill from the Golf Course, Mr. Tohill believed that there would be no net gain or loss on water management capacity from the Golf Course changes to lake shores. Conversely, in Grady Minor’s letter, Mr. Minor stated that there would be a net gain of water capacity achieved, but District Manager Teague believes that to be a misstatement. District Manager Teague also stated that the Board has previously communicated clearly to Mr. Tohill that the Board needs prior approval for this project, and that this project must not impact the functioning of the stormwater system.

District Manager Teague stated that he will respond to the resident, Shelly Childs, if necessary.

B. Resident Letter on Preserve Boardwalk Neglect

In response to the resident who was concerned that the boardwalk in the preserve had been neglected, Field Manager Pepin spoke to Patrick Tohill, and Patrick confirmed that Club workers used a blower on the boardwalk on a weekly basis.

Field Manager Pepin reported that there is a high presence of mold and other unknown growth along the boardwalk and on the benches. Vice Chair Hefti stated that Field Manager Pepin had mentioned staining it, and Chair Worthington recommended staining it every year. Field Manager Pepin estimates that it will cost $4,000 to $5,000 to power wash it and $7,000 to $8,000 to stain it.  The Board asked Field Manager Pepin to obtain a proposal, and the Board requested its completion before the next rainy season.


A. FEMA Reimbursement Update

District Manager Teague stated that FEMA has denied reimbursement for both projects, and the denial letters were in the packet, as well as, the final tally of invoices paid.  FEMA’s rules have changed between Hurricanes Irma and Ian, and the requirement is now that there be open and unrestricted access to facilities that serve the public at large. One of the reasons that Colonial’s projects were denied is because the eligible facility, the stormwater system, has restricted/controlled access (is behind gates).

Staff is drafting an appeal, which is due by February 16, 2024.  District Manager Teague stated that reimbursement does not look likely, but the appeal will be filed by staff.

B. Financial Report for December 2023

The Financials were presented, and District Manager Teague stated that the District is 86% collected at this time, and that $10,843 has been earned from interest on the general funds. 

On MOTION by Chair Worthington, seconded by Supervisor Klein, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Financials for December 2023, as presented.

C. Supervisor Ethics Training Update

A memo was included in the packet that gives links to various training options. Client Services Manager Dudak will send an electronic version of the memo, with clickable links to several ethics training options, to make it easier for the Board to find the training sites.

The memo also explains that filing Form 1 can only be completed electronically as of 2024. The link for filing Form 1 will come directly to each Supervisor’s email account from the state. The memo also clarifies that Supervisors are not required to complete Form 6, only Form 1.


A. Current Field Inspection Report

Field Manager Pepin’s report was included in the packet and was discussed.

Supervisor Zajac commented that he is happy with the width of the Spike Rush on the lake near his home, and it was stated that Spike Rush widths will be continually monitored in all the lakes.

B. Follow-up Items

i. Fencing Repairs on 9016 – 9024 Shadow Glen Way Update

Field Manager Pepin reported that there are no updates at this time, because he is still waiting for Carter Fence to complete the repairs. He hopes that the project will be completed within the next few weeks.

ii. Annual Vegetation Cutback

As long as the fence line is dry enough, Community Field Services plans to complete this task by the end of the month.

iii. Boardwalk Inspection

Artistic Structures reported that the structure of the boardwalk is still in good shape, and that the only concerns they have right now are a few deck and railing boards. Artistic Structures is preparing a proposal to complete these maintenance issues. Supervisor Zajac asked if there will be a report available which can dispersed to the Board.  Staff will investigate.

Supervisor Klein stated that there are not enough funds set aside currently for replacing the boardwalk. The Board discussed how monies can be reassigned in the future when replacement is necessary, and they would like to structure the Budget so there is no need for increasing assessments. District Manager Teague stated that there are other funds that can be moved from lakes maintenance and from the unassigned fund balance to bolster the committed line item for the boardwalk.

iv. Missing Storm Drain Caps/Medallions

Field Manager Pepin confirmed that he has at least two cases of the blue storm drain markers on hand. He stated that he will schedule a day to inspect every catch basin and replace the markers that are missing.

v. Lake 3* to Lake 32 Airline Repair

Field Manager Pepin expects this project to be completed by Friday, January 19, 2024, but Premier Lakes has not confirmed it as of yet.

C. Project Tracking Logs

The log was submitted, and there were no questions.


There was no report from Attorney Greg Urbancic.


District Manager Teague received a memo from Engineer Marshall stating that the Pond Watch program might now have availability for the District to join its water quality testing program, which meets the requirements of the surface water management permit. The samples would need to be collected by a full-year resident volunteer on a monthly basis and delivered to the Pond Watch office in Fort Myers. There would be no charge for this testing, as opposed to Benchmark EnviroAnalytical, who collect and test samples quarterly for a fee. The Board will review this when developing the Budget and determine how much the switch to Pond Watch would save and if it’s worth the difficulty of finding an eligible volunteer to commit.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

Supervisor Hefti noted that the Board has a meeting scheduled on Memorial Day, and the Board agreed to reschedule that meeting. The new date will be advertised, as required by law.

On MOTION by Supervisor Zajac, seconded by Vice Chair Hefti, with all in favor, the Board agreed to reschedule the May 27, 2024 meeting date to May 20, 2024 at 4:00 p.m.


There were no Audience comments.


On MOTION by Chair Worthington, seconded by Supervisor Zajac, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 2:53 p.m.

The next Regular Meeting will be February 26, 2024 at 2 p.m. in the Activity Room.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair